- 4 to 5 tbsp butter
- 4 to 5 medium to large onions, sliced or diced thin
- 1 to 2 tsp salt
- 2 to 3 tbsp honey
- Heat a deep, large pan and melt the butter. Keep the temperated low to low-medium. The idea is to not burn your onions. The end result is a soft, amber-colored mix.
- Add the onions to the melted butter in the pan and mix to coat.
- Add salt to help sweat the onions. Cook down the onions for 15 to 20 minutes while stirring every few minutes.
- Once the onions are translucent and much softer, add the honey and mix well.
- Cook for another 15 to 20 minutes while stirring. Once everything has reached an amber color, remove from the heat and cool.
Much of this is intuitive. Prior to cooking the onions, I had 2.5 cups worth sliced. This cooked down to the 1 cup needed for my other recipe. You may also use some shallots in this recipe for a little kick (I wouldn’t go more than half).
One thought on “Caramelized Onions”