Gnocchi (Red Lentil Flour)
- 15 oz dry curd cottage cheese
- 3 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup + 2 tbsp Wellbee’s red lentil flour
- 3/4 cup freshly-grated pecorino cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Black pepper (optional)
- Bring a large stockpot of salted water to a boil.
- Add the yolks to the dry curd cottage cheese and stir briefly to combine. Add in the flour, grated cheese, and salt (other seasonings added here). Stir until evenly combined, but avoid over-mixing. The dough will be moist and maybe a bit sticky, but it should be holding together well. If it feels too wet, just add in a little flour until it has the correct consistency. Think: playdough.
- Roll out and cut the dough by sectioning out 4 equal portions. Using a knife or a bench scraper. Using your hands, gently roll out each wedge out into an even log, approximately 3/4-inch wide. Cut each log into individual bite-sized little gnocchi squares. Lightly dust the gnocchi with flour once more and give them a quick toss so that they are all lightly coated with flour. (Prevents sticking).
- Boiled Gnocchi: Carefully transfer the gnocchi to the boiling water to cook. Remove once they float – usually after 30 seconds or so – and drain the gnocchi. Fried Gnocchi: place the gnocchi into a pan with hot canola oil. Allow to brown all over (mix around if needed) and remove to a dish with papertowels. These are more like a tater tot or cheese puff.
- Serve: Serve immediately, tossed with your favorite sauce and whatever other ingredients sound good!