I found a chicken nugget recipe online that uses sweet potatoes, but I cannot have those nor many of the replacements one might use in their place. So, I opted to go with bananas in this recipe. These are great with honey mustard or ketchup.
Chicken Nuggets (Banana, SCD)
- 2 cups sliced bananas (~3 bananas)
- 1 egg yolk, large – 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 4 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tbsp cashew flour (or other nut flour)
- 2 tbsp minced onion, dried
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Mix all but the ground chicken together well. Mix in the ground chicken using your hands until thoroughly incorporated.
- Using two tablespoons, portion out ~1 tbsp of the mixture for each nugget. Lay out on the baking sheet and use the spoons to shape/flatten into a nugget.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the internal temperate is over 165F. Remove from the oven and cool for a few minutes before serving.
**A variety of squash, such as pumpkin or butternut, can be subbed 1:1 to replace the bananas. I intend to attempt using celeriac/celery root to replace the banana down the road. If you sub the banana with any of the aforementioned items, I suggest reducing the coconut flour to 2 tbsp and omitting the nut flour.