This is an updated version of the stuffing recipe from Thanksgiving 2018. This recipe was a success for both myself and those of my family who are not on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. I think it is a keeper!
I stored my stuffing for about 3 days before reheating for Thanksgiving dinner. It actually allowed the flavors to saturate better, so I suggest making this ahead. It will still be delicious made fresh, but this is just my personal preference. Enjoy!
Cashew Bread Stuffing
- 1 loaf of Liberated Specialty Foods Cashew Creme Bread, cubed
- 2 cups of celery, diced
- 3 tbsp minced onion, dried
- 1 cup of macadamia nut halves
- 24 oz baby portabella mushrooms, quartered
- 1 tbsp black sesame seeds
- 0.5 oz poultry blend herbs (fresh rosemary, thyme, and sage)
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup water for the pan
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1/4 cup raisins (up to 1/2 cup if desired)
- 1 tbsp + 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Cube the bread and bake in a lightly greased 9×13 pan for about 20-25 minutes, stirring to distribute the heat. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Whisk the eggs and set aside.
- In a medium to large sauté pan, add the 2 tbsp of olive oil and butter over medium heat. Once the butter has melted, add the mushrooms and celery. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring.
- Add the nuts and raisins. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring. Use the water to deglaze as needed.
- Add the lemon juice, minced onion, sesame seeds, salt, and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes. Use the water to deglaze as needed.
- Pour the sautéed ingredients over the bread. Mix well.
- Add the whisked eggs and fresh herbs. Mix well.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes while stirring occasionally to allow for the bread to crisp all throughout. (I bake it 10 minutes at a time and mix).
- Remove from the oven and drizzle 1/4 cup of olive oil over the stuffing. Mix and serve or allow to cool and store for later.
Please comment on any variations to this recipe. It is still a work in progress for me. You can sub the bread in this recipe with your own homemade bread.