I felt like creating something original today. I think it could still be better, but it definitely hit the spot. Right now I am not sure I can have honey, so I’ve been playing around with baking using fruit as the only sweetener. Hopefully, if my love affair with honey must come to an end, I will tolerate dates instead. A girl needs something! Anyway, if you decide to try these, please comment on how you adjusted them or how you think they might be best improved. Enjoy!
Nutty Banana Breakfast Bars
- 3/4 cup pecan flour (any nut flour besides coconut)
- 3/4 cup walnut halves
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ginger, ground
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg yolk, large
- 1 tbsp coconut oil (+ some to grease pan)
- 2 tbsp peanut butter (or any nut butter)
- 2 bananas, ripe
- 5 tbsp coconut milk
- 1/2 cup coconut, shredded & unsweetened
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 13 x 9 x 2 inch pan.
- Combine flour, nuts, baking soda, ginger, and salt in a food processor. Pulse untill well blended.
- Add lemon juice, vanilla, egg, oil, nut butter, bananas, and milk. Pulse until smooth like a batter.
- Add the shredded coconut and pulse lightly to mix in.
- Spread the batter evenly into the pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until browned and the edges have pulled away from the sides.